You can participate in Week Without Violence on your own or with a group (your company, organization, place of worship, etc.) by registering an event. Registering gives you access to a digital toolkit to help you plan your event. The toolkit contains educational resources, promotional materials, and a social media toolkit.
Want to get involved, but not sure how to participate? Here are just a few ideas!
- Use the fact sheets and materials from the toolkit to hold a dialogue about gender-based violence in your community. Discuss how you can create better supports for survivors of violence. Create a plan of action.
- Hold a panel discussion with local leaders, advocates, experts, and other stakeholders.
- Organize an awareness event such as a march, film screening, or art exhibit.
- Create space for survivors to share their experiences. This could be a creative event such as an open mic or it could be a more structured time of sharing.
- Invite local elected officials to make a proclamation to end gender-based violence at a local press event. Then encourage them to create policies that support survivors.
- Hold an event in partnership with or to support organizations in your community that provide gender-based violence services.
- Share what you’ve learned on social media and help others build their understanding too! Use #WWV17 to get connected.
We look forward to working with you to end gender-based violence this October and all year long.
If you have any questions, please contact WeekWithoutViolence@ywca.org.